DM780 Dropout or Lockup Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM780 Dropout or Lockup Problem

This is in response to a comment misplaced in another thread about this situation.

Original posters question: "what can i do about the recurring short dropouts, where the waterfall freezes for about three to four seconds and then when sending the ptt also fails. after this short time everything runs normally for a while, and then the same game starts again."

My response: This dropout is actually a lockup due to a HRD system file running in the background called KeepAlive. HRD support was "unaware" of this until one of the technicians logged onto my computer and witnessed it first hand. It happens every 5 minutes (to the second from when DM780 is started) and when it does, all things DM780 cease for 2 to 5 seconds or so, depending on the speed of your CPU and RAM, until this process completes whatever its doing.

I was told that this process should NOT be causing this problem, but they witnessed it first hand, several times during the connection. To display this properly for them, I had WSJTx also running and I was sending my call using the CW portion of DM780 since it is the most noticeable way of showing the lockup happening. The WSJTx MSK144 mode waterfall showed exactly what was happening to my call sign when the HRD waterfall just stopped and then caught up after the lockup, thus indicating NO stoppage while ultimately displaying the data received during the lockup, which is in error. The problem is during TRANSMIT, when all tone output stops during this KeepAlive operation. There was a noticeable gap in the transmitted tone detection in the WSJTx waterfall that was not evident in the HRD waterfall thus sending a wrong/invalid CW character, or invalid data in other modes. But it does pickup where it left off, just sending wrong data in the process.

You can see the results in the attached image of the WSJTx MSK144 waterfall with DM780 sending my call (WB5JJJ). If you look carefully and decode the dots and dashes in your mind, you will see it happening. This is totally repeatable and has been unresolved for the past few years through numerous updates.

In the lower graph you will see the following:

......? B 5 J J J...... W B ?.....<gap>......? J J J....W B 5 J

HRD Pause 1.JPG
    Last edited by WB5JJJ; 07-30-20, 22:28.
    --------------------------
    Windows 10 Pro (64bit) on a Dell i5 Quad with 8Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
    3 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left, WSJTx on center and Logbook on right)
    Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7610 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
    Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
    M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
    EFHW's for 160m, 80m, 60m, 40m & 30m.

MFJ 939i Automatic Tuner (for IC-7610)
    LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
    MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs) with Rat Master controller

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau every couple of weeks..
    Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
    Retired July 2011.
Working...
X