"Encountered an improper argument" error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Encountered an improper argument" error

I'm starting this thread to collect your feedback to help us solve the "Encountered an improper argument" error in the beta build published on our website.

We welcome your contribution.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
    Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
    Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
    Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
    9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
    Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
    [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
    CW Honor Roll (289)
    SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
    Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
    Mixed Honor Roll (176)
    CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
    Mixed Honor Roll (953)
    CW (562)
    SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
    Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
    Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:
    Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE,

I never experienced an "Encountered an Improper Argument" with the currently available download version V6.7.0.254 pre-release. I experienced the error when testing Call sign lookup speed in V6.7.0.258 beta. That was the first time I encountered the problem with any version. I downloaded and installed the .254 pre-release version again just a few minutes ago to confirm nothing had changed.

Btw... although the error repeatedly popped up in .258 Beta it did not appear to actually be preventing normal operation. Clicking the error message sometimes took multiple times but once it closed the software did what it was supposed to (such as call sign lookup or add to log).

Sorry if I was the cause of any confusion regarding this error.

Ken
    K1KDA
    Last edited by K1KDA; 01-14-20, 15:37.

Comment

I only see an error message once the Logbook is running. Until then, I can switch between Supersweeper and another mode without seeing the error message.
      Once the Logbook is running I see the error message when switching to a mode from Supersweeper but not back again.
      If I close the Logbook, the error messages continue.
      Icom ic-7610, SPE 1.3K-FA amp, Hex beam at 12m, Butternut HF6V for 80m-30m, 40m/80m trap dipole @ 40'.
      PC - Windows 10.
      Intel 4 Core i5-4460 CPU@3.2GHz, 8GB RAM,

Comment

Originally posted by K1KDA View Post
        Mike, VK4/WA9PIE,

Btw... although the error repeatedly popped up in .258 Beta it did not appear to actually be preventing normal operation. Clicking the error message sometimes took multiple times but once it closed the software did what it was supposed to (such as call sign lookup or add to log).

Ken
        K1KDA
        In my experience, the way these errors generally work is as follows...

The program launches and it tries to create or modify a file... or the file is missing (we saw this a few years ago with the solar files in Logbook). If the program is unable to find or modify the file, there is an error that occurs every single time the program tries to access the file. You can click through the errors generally. Meaning - if the program has generated 12 errors, you can click through it 12 times and the error will clear after the 12th time (but then recur when it happens again).

Question is... what's the program trying to access?

IMPORTANT: Quite often... when someone installs the program "as admin"... then the access rights to registry keys, directories, and files end up requiring admin rights to create or modify. This is just one more reason why I tell people that they should never install any software as admin. It's not necessary. Installers are able to elevate their own permissions as required for the install. And... you don't want a program installed or running as admin when it has open ports to the Internet (unless you enjoy identity theft and credit card fraud).

VK4/WA9PIE
        Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
        Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
        Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
        9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
        Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
        [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
        CW Honor Roll (289)
        SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
        Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
        Mixed Honor Roll (176)
        CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
        Mixed Honor Roll (953)
        CW (562)
        SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
        Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
        Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:
        Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

Comment

I can duplicate this problem with printing from the Awards tab. Was happening on 6.6.0.(237 or 239?) and still happens on 6.7.0.254.
          The debug log doesn't show anything useful.
          More than happy to help debug this.
          de Mike W9MDB

Comment

I found that I cannot restore this backup database. It looks like at least the primary key has been messed as there are duplicates there. I'm helping out a friend so this is his database backup. He's been running HRD for a long time. It restores 29 records and stops. I found I could remove one of the records there and it continued but then burped at 58 records and can't figure out what record is causing it. This kind of defeats the whole idea of a backup.
            https://www.dropbox.com/s/ly0fgluhxb...01817.xml?dl=0
            .de Mike W9MDB

Comment

And here's the corrupted MDB file. For example, you can't print the Award Matrix....it get's the improper argument error.
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/9phy1x6qah...gbook.mdb?dl=0

Comment

Any updates on this problem??

Comment

Download 6.7.0.259 from here
                  https://www.hamradiodeluxe.com/downloads/
                  That should fix it.
                  Icom ic-7610, SPE 1.3K-FA amp, Hex beam at 12m, Butternut HF6V for 80m-30m, 40m/80m trap dipole @ 40'.
                  PC - Windows 10.
                  Intel 4 Core i5-4460 CPU@3.2GHz, 8GB RAM,

Comment

Seems that fixed the export/restore problem. But still get improper argument error when trying to print the Award Matrix from this database
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5w2airhkp...book2.mdb?dl=0

Comment

I get the error constantly with Version 6.7.0.275

Comment

Working...
                      X