Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We may have found the issue that’s causing “slow QRZ lookups” for some people. We’re building a beta in a few hours for it.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
    Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
    Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
    Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
    9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
    Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
    [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
    CW Honor Roll (289)
    SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
    Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
    Mixed Honor Roll (176)
    CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
    Mixed Honor Roll (953)
    CW (562)
    SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
    Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
    Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:
    Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

Comment

Originally posted by K1KDA View Post
      Mike, VK4/WA9PIE,

Sure. But remember that I have a kinda of a network within a network so this address will not seem to make sense. My Secondary DNS address was 192.168.1.1 which in theory points to the outer ring WiFi router.

Even though I never had any DNS issues I now believe that my system was relying solely on the Primary DNS address. So the invalid secondary address was a problem waiting to happen... and it did. I believe the QRZ lookups were going to the secondary DNS address which did not respond so the queries eventually were re-directed to the primary DNS server. That would explain the delay... a very very consistent delay. It would also explain why only a few of us experienced the problem... those of us with bad Secondary DNS addresses.

In my view the quick fix to the slow lookup problem is to change the secondary DNS server address. Of course the bigger, and more difficult question, is why the secondary address is invoked on a QRZ lookup but not a HamQTH lookup. I will leave that question to the experts on your team.

Ken
      K1KDA

K1KDA Okay... we may have found the problem. Ken - can you try something for me?

- Change your DNS back to what it was originally and make sure that your QRZ.com looks are SLOW (before you continue)
      - Install this new beta version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/95ljafw30b...pHRD67_258.exe
      - Try the QRZ lookup again with your original DNS settings
      - Report back

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
      Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
      Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC

DX CQ
      CW Honor Roll (289)
      SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
      Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
      Mixed Honor Roll (176)

CQ WPX
      Mixed Honor Roll (953)
      CW (562)
      SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
      Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:

Comment

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE,

Good news and bad news. After the update you provided, the QRZ lookup time went down to .5 seconds or less on average. HamQTH lookup time remained good. The bad news is that DM780 now reports "Encountered an improper argument." I noticed that error because my HRD startup settings load both the log book and DM780.

Here is how I conducted the test.
        1. I reset the router Secondary DNS address back to 198.168.1.1 which caused the slow look up before. This was the only change I made.
        2. I ran HRD and used the log book to look up the same 5 call signs I used in previous testing. As before, lookup times averaged about 21.5 seconds for QRZ lookup.
        3. Then, with no other changes I downloaded the file you requested and ran it as the Administrator.
        4. DM780 failed to load properly as noted above.
        5. Logbook loaded without error and I ran the same five call sign look ups. The average QRZ look up times were .5 seconds or better. HamQTH look ups remained in the same range as before... around .6 seconds.
        6. I closed HRD, Logbook, and used Task Manager to close DM780 since it was locked up. Then I restarted HRD. I got the same DM 780 error that time ("Encountered an Improper argument").

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Ken
        K1KDA

Comment

I downloaded the file you requested and ran it as the Administrator (setup files - or installers - can elevate their own privs as needed).

Ken
          K1KDA
          Ken,

We generally (strongly) discourage folks from installing as administrator... this can cause things to break or can cause false-positives.

That said... I'm going to send it now to our beta team and ask them to go after the "slow lookups" thing and take a look at this new error.

Much appreciated.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
          Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
          Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC

DX CQ
          CW Honor Roll (289)
          SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
          Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
          Mixed Honor Roll (176)

CQ WPX
          Mixed Honor Roll (953)
          CW (562)
          SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
          Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:

Comment

Don't know what y'all found, but whatever y'all used to kill it....

IT IS DEAD!

Using the x.258 beta, I checked with my hard-coded, custom DNS servers from Cloudflare and it worked... of course.

THEN, I flushed the Win10 DNS, and changed my router back to the Suddenlink DNS servers (208.180.42.100 & 66.76.175.100) Then, I returned the "local network" DNS to 192.168.2.1 (meaning it will serve the Suddenlink DNS to all clients not otherwise hard-coded on the adapter. THEN, I set my network adapter BACK to the default 192.168.2.1 router IP as the ONLY DNS entry on the adapter... Then, I flushed DNS again for good measure.

THEN, I cold rebooted the machine and flushed DNS yet again. Verified that Windows says my default DNS is 192.168.2.1....

Opened Logbook and started editing in the ALE window....

The FIRST few were really slow... then I remembered that it needed to map the path to the ACTUAL DNS servers set on the router into local DNS first.... After 3 edits, the times have plummeted to UNDER 1 second EVERY time.... so fast, I cannot time them with my stopwatch accurately. (and I STILL don't know where to find the loohup parse results...)

ADDITIONALLY, the "Lookup Pane" on the left side of my Layout was simply broken before.... delays, wrong responses, et al....

NOW, it is working 100%.... super fast.

THANKS YOU to ALL involved for hanging in there and finding/killing this nasty bug!!!
            Clay Autery
            More, Better, Faster...

Comment

Good to hear. It was a bit of the proverbial "needle in a haystack." But if not for you folks here trying the things that you tried, we wouldn't have found the problem yet.

We're still working to test 3598 and I'm having folks take a look at this "Encountered improper argument" error to see if we can reproduce it.

Promising.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
              Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
              Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC

DX CQ
              CW Honor Roll (289)
              SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
              Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
              Mixed Honor Roll (176)

CQ WPX
              Mixed Honor Roll (953)
              CW (562)
              SSB (569)

Fixed Station:
              Icom IC-910

Mobile Station:

Comment

I wonder if something else is going on.
                Could you go to C:\Users\your account\AppData\Roaming\HRDLLC\
                Rename the Digital Master folder (just append Backup behind the name)

Does the error still comming up?

The bad news is that DM780 now reports "Encountered an improper argument." I noticed that error because my HRD startup settings load both the log book and DM780.
                Ferry PD9FER

HRD Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by wa9pie View Post
                  ...We're still working to test 3598 and I'm having folks take a look at this "Encountered improper argument" error to see if we can reproduce it.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
                  Wish I could help with that, but I don't do digital..... yet. But if there's anything ever that I can do to help with the pieces I DO use, I'm all in. Just holler. Code isn't really my thing, but testing is.

Clay Autery
                  More, Better, Faster...

Comment

Originally posted by PD9FER View Post
                    I wonder if something else is going on.
                    Could you go to C:\Users\your account\AppData\Roaming\HRDLLC\
                    Rename the Digital Master folder (just append Backup behind the name)

Does the error still comming up?
                    I tried that Ferry and I got no error messages UNTIL I opened the Logbook as well. Switching between the CW tab and Supersweeper gave an error.
                    When I closed the Logbook the error messages stopped. HTH.
                    Icom ic-7610, SPE 1.3K-FA amp, Hex beam at 12m, Butternut HF6V, 160m vertical helical wound and homebrew 40m/80m trap dipole.
                    PC - Windows 10.
                    Intel 4 Core i5-4460 CPU@3.2GHz, 8GB RAM,

Comment

Ferry PD9FER,

I renamed the DM780 folder as you suggested. After doing so if I load HRD, Logbook and then DM780 the error pops up immediately in DM780 saying "Encountered improper argument."

If I load HRD, then DM780 and load logbook last things look normal. However, at that point if I try to add a log entry via DM780 the error return in various ways.

If I try to transmit in DM780 I get a warning that "The IC7300 configuration does not have a transmit button." When I clear that error message the radio will start transmitting the message. After the transmission I get the "Encountered an improper argument error." After I click that error closed a few times it will actually close the error message. When I transmit an Add Log command using DM780 the improper argument error will pop up again and will take clicking several times to close but the logbook does get updated properly.

On a positive note, the call sign lookup seems to be working fast.

I installed this beta version as the system Administrator. Mike suggested that I should not have done that. So I am going to uninstall and re-install as a standard user in case Administrator privileges contributed to the problem.

Ken
                      K1KDA

Comment

Okay folks... with your help, we've solved the "slow QRZ lookups" problem. Thank you!

The "Encountered an improper argument" error still exists in DM-780. SO...

I'm going to close this topic out and I'll open one in the DM-780 forum for this error.

Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
                        Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
                        Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC

DX CQ
                        CW Honor Roll (289)
                        SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
                        Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
                        Mixed Honor Roll (176)

CQ WPX
                        Mixed Honor Roll (953)
                        CW (562)