Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those reporting "slow" performance of Logbook

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For those reporting "slow" performance of Logbook

    Something occurred to me this evening as I was pondering why I am unable to replicate "slow."

    One user recently watched the video on our YouTube page where I demonstrate moving the log to MariaDB (a "fork" of MySQL). This resolved his problem.

    But I don't think that going to MySQL (MariaDB) is necessary. There may be an easier way to solve this.

    FWIW - Ham Radio Deluxe 6.7 does extend the database schema to enable us to accommodate additional ADIF fields (among other things). So it really is necessary.

    Try this...

    In Logbook...
    > click on "Manager"; this opens up the Logbook Databases manager
    > click on "ODBC Administrator"; this opens up Windows 32-bit ODBC Administrator
    ...among other things, you should see Microsoft Access Driver and... if you have a reasonably current version of Microsoft Access Runtime on your machine, it will show "*.mdb, *.accdb"
    ...if you do not see these two database file types there, then we need to get you off of a 20+ year old version of the Access Runtime.
    (You may ask, "How did the old version get there?" The answer is - it was included in previous versions of Windows and... through OS upgrades, may not have been updated.)

    So if this applies to you... do this:
    > use the database backup utility in Logbook to make sure you've got your latest QSOs backed up
    > Please download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2013 driver. CAUTION: Please make sure you download and install the 32-bit version (AccessRuntime_x86_en-us.exe) from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...15695C5A2143=1
    > Install that 32-bit version of the 2013 Access Runtime (the newer versions have compatibility problems; don't try to use them).
    > Once that's installed... check the ODBC Administrator as we did before (you should now see this new Microsoft Access Driver in there with *.mdb, *.accdb in there.
    > Create a brand new log
    > Make sure the WSI check goes to this new log and no longer checks the old log
    > Restore your backup to this new log
    > Use this new log and close the old one.

    Provide us some feedback here about how this went for you.

    (This isn't something that we can automate in our installer... as our installer didn't install the previous version of Access Runtime.)

    Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
    Mike, WA9PIE

    _ . _ . _ _ . _
    Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

    DXCC
    Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
    9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
    Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
    [Granted are the only ones I count]

    DX CQ
    CW Honor Roll (289)
    SSB Honor Roll (275)

    CQ WAZ
    Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

    CQ DX Field
    Mixed Honor Roll (176)
    CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

    CQ WPX
    Mixed Honor Roll (953)
    CW (562)
    SSB (569)

    Fixed Station:
    Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
    Icom IC-910

    Mobile Station:
    Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

  • #2
    Mike,

    Thank you for the advice above.
    I do see in the ODBC Administrator - "Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)". But still get a lengthy delay when opening a log entry for editing, but only when connected to a DXcluster.
    When not connected to a cluster, opening a log entry for editing is much quicker.
    This is happening on a year old HP running Win10. Might be note worthy that this delay is not happening on a much older laptop running Win7.
    thanks,
    Tim - K5TCJ

    Comment


    • #3
      How many logs do you have being searched for WSI (under Databases Manager)?

      Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
      Mike, WA9PIE

      _ . _ . _ _ . _
      Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

      DXCC
      Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
      9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
      Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
      [Granted are the only ones I count]

      DX CQ
      CW Honor Roll (289)
      SSB Honor Roll (275)

      CQ WAZ
      Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

      CQ DX Field
      Mixed Honor Roll (176)
      CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

      CQ WPX
      Mixed Honor Roll (953)
      CW (562)
      SSB (569)

      Fixed Station:
      Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
      Icom IC-910

      Mobile Station:
      Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

      Comment


      • #4
        I did it on my new PC with W10 and everything is better here, more responsiveness. Thank you

        Comment


        • #5
          Only 1 log. My logbook.

          Comment


          • #6
            When I open Manager, I do not see the option ODBC Administrator.

            Joe

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by W4FKW View Post
              When I open Manager, I do not see the option ODBC Administrator.

              Joe
              In HRD Logbook Tools>>ODBC Administrator
              73,
              Charlie, KØLAF

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by wa9pie View Post
                Something occurred to me this evening as I was pondering why I am unable to replicate "slow."

                One user recently watched the video on our YouTube page where I demonstrate moving the log to MariaDB (a "fork" of MySQL). This resolved his problem.

                But I don't think that going to MySQL (MariaDB) is necessary. There may be an easier way to solve this.

                FWIW - Ham Radio Deluxe 6.7 does extend the database schema to enable us to accommodate additional ADIF fields (among other things). So it really is necessary.

                Try this...

                In Logbook...
                > click on "Manager"; this opens up the Logbook Databases manager
                > click on "ODBC Administrator"; this opens up Windows 32-bit ODBC Administrator
                ...among other things, you should see Microsoft Access Driver and... if you have a reasonably current version of Microsoft Access Runtime on your machine, it will show "*.mdb, *.accdb"
                ...if you do not see these two database file types there, then we need to get you off of a 20+ year old version of the Access Runtime.
                (You may ask, "How did the old version get there?" The answer is - it was included in previous versions of Windows and... through OS upgrades, may not have been updated.)

                So if this applies to you... do this:
                > use the database backup utility in Logbook to make sure you've got your latest QSOs backed up
                > Please download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2013 driver. CAUTION: Please make sure you download and install the 32-bit version (AccessRuntime_x86_en-us.exe) from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...15695C5A2143=1
                > Install that 32-bit version of the 2013 Access Runtime (the newer versions have compatibility problems; don't try to use them).
                > Once that's installed... check the ODBC Administrator as we did before (you should now see this new Microsoft Access Driver in there with *.mdb, *.accdb in there.
                > Create a brand new log
                > Make sure the WSI check goes to this new log and no longer checks the old log
                > Restore your backup to this new log
                > Use this new log and close the old one.

                Provide us some feedback here about how this went for you.

                (This isn't something that we can automate in our installer... as our installer didn't install the previous version of Access Runtime.)

                Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
                everything looked correct
                try to reinstall 32bt drivers
                I get this error

                Comment


                • #9
                  I found the ODBC Administrator but my version is current with the information noted running Win 10. I continue to have very slow Lookups. Anticipating your question, the only database listed is My Logbook.

                  Thanks,
                  Joe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am having the same problem as others - look up is painfully slow. I have checked the DB in the ODBC admin and it shows mdb accdb. I am running windows 10 on a 18 month old Dell notebook. Any suggestions?

                    Thanks,
                    Joe.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aj1y View Post
                      I am having the same problem as others - look up is painfully slow. I have checked the DB in the ODBC admin and it shows mdb accdb. I am running windows 10 on a 18 month old Dell notebook. Any suggestions?

                      Thanks,
                      Joe.
                      My guess is there a problem with the 64 bit drivers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by N2MLP View Post

                        everything looked correct
                        try to reinstall 32bt drivers
                        I get this error
                        Weird.... I have Office 365 64-bit installed on my system, and I just installed the 32-bit Access 2013 Runtime without a hitch.

                        Now.... it is ALSO possible that your OLD Office 2010 was installed with the old method, and the new version is Click-to-Run (C2R).

                        You can't mix the two methods on the same computer. But that's just a shot in the dark.
                        Clay Autery
                        More, Better, Faster...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here is an example of a NEW, custom-built system that did NOT have an MS Access Run-time installed, followed by what my system looked like AFTER a successful run-time install. (NOTE: This system is running Office 365 64-bit simultaneously with no issues that I am aware of..... other than QRZ lookups being excrutiatingly SLOW.)

                          KY5G_ODBC.jpg


                          Here is what it looks like now: (more stuff below!!)

                          KY5G_ODBC_RUNTIME_UPDATED.jpg


                          NOW, I am going to try and PROPERLY create a NEW database/logbook without jacking the system up entirely. I have never successfully gotten this to work.... but that was a long time ago.

                          Will post back with results.
                          Attached Files
                          Clay Autery
                          More, Better, Faster...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "Driver do Microsoft Access" is the old version. Getting on a newer version will help the performance. I'm not 100% certain that it will solve all the problems I'm hearing about, but this is a step in the right direction.

                            Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
                            Mike, WA9PIE

                            _ . _ . _ _ . _
                            Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

                            DXCC
                            Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
                            9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
                            Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
                            [Granted are the only ones I count]

                            DX CQ
                            CW Honor Roll (289)
                            SSB Honor Roll (275)

                            CQ WAZ
                            Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

                            CQ DX Field
                            Mixed Honor Roll (176)
                            CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

                            CQ WPX
                            Mixed Honor Roll (953)
                            CW (562)
                            SSB (569)

                            Fixed Station:
                            Yaesu FTdx5000MP, Yaesu Quadra System, microKEYER II
                            Icom IC-910

                            Mobile Station:
                            Yaesu FT-857D and Digikeyer II

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wa9pie View Post
                              "Driver do Microsoft Access" is the old version. Getting on a newer version will help the performance. I'm not 100% certain that it will solve all the problems I'm hearing about, but this is a step in the right direction.

                              Mike, VK4/WA9PIE
                              Roger that.... I FINALLY figured out enough about the DSN stuff, to understand how to create the dbase.... Here we go:
                              ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                              OK.... NEW BLANK LOGBOOK successfully created successfully with it set to "Default", with the WSI indicator set (automagically does this), AND I unchecked the WSI indicator from the OLD Logbook.

                              NOW, I did the next part different.... While I created both .ADI and .XML backups (several actually), I'm pretty sure that using either for the import to the new Logbook would not bring everything I had in the old database. I MAY be wrong in that, but I did a DIRECT EXPORT from the OLD database file/logbook to the NEW Access file/logbook.

                              And having the full Access application makes this not only possible, but ALMOST trivial.

                              IF you want to try it this way, you do so at your own peril, but you should read this page FIRST:

                              https://support.office.com/en-us/art...5-aa5319a428a6

                              Pretty much just follow the directions on the above page.

                              Should open right up in HRD Logbook...

                              You MAY get a warning about inability to verify source of data, et al.... (security NOT a DSN issue). But you can over-ride it.
                              Believe it or not, having the file open in Logbook, before you open it in Access will make it easier for some reason.

                              Once it is open in Access, close HRD Logbook.

                              Then choose Database Tools--> Compact and Repair.
                              THIS operation, for some reason, stops the warnings on the follow-up openings of the database file.

                              Here is an image of the NEW database OPEN, and the ODBC Administrator showing it's setup correctly:

                              KY5G_EXPORT_COMPLETE.jpg


                              NEW Database is "KY5G Logbook - Access" with the 32-bit Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb) on it.

                              WORKING perfectly!!! (Speed Test Pending)

                              Questions:

                              1) Why are we still using the old .mdb file type rather than the new .accdb file extension/version/type?

                              2) Why are we using the 32-bit rather than the 64-bit drivers, AND/OR why not the newer 2016 or Office 365 runtimes?

                              Just curious.... I've got no problem either way as long as it still works right!

                              Which of course reminds me....

                              I need to go do the "AFTER Testing" and post the before and after data in my next post.

                              BRB...


                              Clay Autery
                              More, Better, Faster...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X