Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many logbook backups should you keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many logbook backups should you keep?

I was shocked to find that I have 1.2 GB of logbook backups stored in C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Roaming\HRDLLC\HRD Logbook\Archive , as well as more copies filling up a folder in Dropbox. Apparently HRD has been storing backups every time I've closed the program ever since I started using v5.X back in 2012. Does it make any sense to keep all these copies of old backups?

Gary - AC6EG

PS: I've reverted back to v6.6.0.237 till the dust settles on this latest release.

Hello Gary,

Personally I keep the current year is 2019 since the beginning of HRD,
    I empty old backups including dropbox and Google drive to keep room for photos or other file.

73's from F5SRH Olivier
    - Sortie Ham Radio Deluxe 6.7.0.244
    - Yaesu FT1000D, Yaesu FT 736, Yaesu FT 847, Antenne Mosley Pro 67B, Cushcraft R 7000 +
    - Windows 10-64 bits. Processeur Intel Core I5 ​​9600k 3,7GHz 6 coeurs, 8 Go de RAM DDR4-2400Mhz,

Comment

Originally posted by AC6EG View Post
      Does it make any sense to keep all these copies of old backups?
      Probably not; the question is, which ones do you keep? I would suggest as a minimum you keep an annual back-up, a monthly back-up for the current year and a daily back-up for each day of the current month.
      Regards,

David G4NVB

Comment

I was shocked to find that I have 1.2 GB of logbook backups stored in C:\Users\Gary\AppData\Roaming\HRDLLC\HRD Logbook\Archive , as well as more copies filling up a folder in Dropbox. Apparently HRD has been storing backups every time I've closed the program ever since I started using v5.X back in 2012. Does it make any sense to keep all these copies of old backups?

Gary - AC6EG

PS: I've reverted back to v6.6.0.237 till the dust settles on this latest release.
        Gary,

You have to clean out old backups that you do not want. One of the options in HRD is to save on shutdown, to multiple locations if so selected. How would HRD know how many backups you want?
        Ron, W3RJW

HRD v6.6.0.236
        Acer Aspire XC600, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.9GHz, 8 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, Windows 8.1,
        Access Data Base
        FTdx-5000+Timewave Navigator Interface/FTdx-3000+SignaLink USB Interface, .. WSJT-X v2.1.1, JTAlertX v2.15.5, HRD v6.6.0.236

Comment

Why would you need more than just a few backups saved in a couple of different places? I try to keep 7 daily backups with one copy stored on local computer and the second stored in the cloud. I don't really need 7 but I'm too lazy to delete them more often than weekly. I wish HRD had the ability to limit number of backups. One of these days I'll write a script to delete them for me!

73, Charlie, K0LAF
          Charlie, KLAF

Comment

Thanks everybody. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't overlooked something before I deleted hundreds of backup files. I do like Charlie's idea of an option in HRD Logbook to automatically limit the number of backups saved.

73 de Gary - AC6EG

Comment

I do like Charlie's idea of an option in HRD Logbook to automatically limit the number of backups saved.
              That would be a nice feature.

Regards,

David G4NVB

Comment

Working...
              X