DM780 and CW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM780 and CW

I can't get the CW to transmit or receive/decode? Is there a set-up sequence or something? I go to CW / SSB, set the filter bandwith 1/4 of the bar graph and all I get is random lettering and symbols scrolling on the page, does not even have to show a signal coming in and it still scrolling letters & symbols? Any help please.

Sounds like it's trying to decode on noise. Notice that the squelch slider should show some blue area starting from the left side of the slider. You can set the squelch just above the noise level to prevent decoding on noise. On CW, the sending from the other end has to be just about perfect for DM780 to decode well. So if someone has a less than perfect fist, don't be surprised if it decodes garbage. Moving the squelch slider to the right makes it LESS sensitive to noise.

If you're set up for CW/SSB, DM780 will be putting out an audio CW tone to the radio, same as in PSK31 or most other digital modes. If you want to key the transmitter directly via a COM port, then you need to be in just plain CW mode.

The Filter slider can be set to about 100 Hz and left there. You shouldn't need to mess with it much.
    Ed - W4ELP

Comment

Ed THX for the response. I've tried everything you've suggested and the SQUELCH has cut out about 90% of the constant scrolling of letters, numbers,& symbols. I'm still not receiving copy that makes any sense? On sending out CW, I've tried both plain CW and CW / SSB. I get no TONE sound on either setting, not like the TONE I get on PSK31? Any suggestions? David / KE7JHA

Comment

David-
        If it works on PSK31, that's encouraging - it should work on CW/SSB as well. Your radio should be set the same as for PSK31 (radio must be in SSB mode - NOT CW). The sound card settings remain the same in DM780 for any mode, so you shouldn't have to change any sound card settings for CW/SSB.

When you try to transmit, does the radio go into TX mode? If not, try manually switching the PTT on the radio, then transmit in DM780 and see if you get any TX tone.

For receiving, try to find a real strong signal with very steady sending that sounds like keyboard sending. I am almost exclusively a CW op and rarely see the computer copy very well on a received signal. Don't expect anywhere near the copy quality of PSK31. I've used different CW programs, and that's pretty much true for any of them. Have you tried any other programs and been able to copy CW with them?
        Ed - W4ELP

Comment

Good morning Ed. Thank you for your help. The radio (Flex 3000) is NOW set to SSB and not CW. I am not getting a tone / sound on transmit when I hit send it does not go into transmit? If I key it manually and hit send there is no sound. One thing though, when I do hit send, the message scrolls on the screen like in PSK31, but no tone / sound?

Comment

The fact that the transmit text scrolls across the screen is good - DM780 thinks it's transmitting. All the settings for CW/SSB should be exactly the same as for PSK31. Since it's working in PSK31, you've got to be close. Not being familiar with the FLEX, I'm out of suggestions for now. Let you know if I think of anything else to try. Good luck!
            Ed - W4ELP

Comment

Once again thank you. I'll check back later in case you've found something, 73 David / KE7JHA

Comment

Working...
              X