HRD and Digital Master - Windows 10 compatability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HRD and Digital Master - Windows 10 compatability

I am running a trail version of HRD which will expire on 15 June.

I have an Icom IC 7200 running with Ham Radio Deluxe via the radio USB connection.
    Control the radio is OK, but there is a problem with Digital Master 780.
    There is No modulation.

The soundcard set up displayed was:
    Microphone (2-USB Audio Codec)
    But it reported an error:
    Opening Microphone (2-USB Audio Codec) Sound Card Failed 48K and 8K

Speaker (2-USB Audio Codec) appeared to be OK.

Windows 10 Device Manager reports: Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)
    Then goes on to say: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problem (Code 43)
    Port -#0001. Hub_#0003

The USB device in the radio is a Silicon Labs CP210xUSB Uart Bridge.
    The correct driver is installed.

On-line suggestions are to uninstall the device, restart the PC and do a reinstall.
    I have tried this and it has not worked.
    It looks like Windows 10 does not recognise the ICOM usb driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks Bill GM6RFQ

This is an recent and ongoing problem with the ICOM USB Driver and Windows 10. A "quality" update and the recent 1803 Spring "feature" update have made working with the ICOM driver almost impossible as far as the audio goes. There are so many settings in Windows that must be just right for it to work and they are different from computer to computer. When I got my 7410 back in 2013, I had it up and running in short order on Win 7 Pro. Had no problems running any mode on DM780. When FT8 came along last June, I had WSJT-x going in very short order with all the audio working as expected. System sounds to speakers and program tones to radio. In December I replaced the 7410 with a 7610 and it was almost plug and play and everything still worked. . Had to send 7610 off to get the LCD display replaced (faded out) and put the 7410 back in. No plug and play this time as I had problem after problem getting WSJT-x working and separating the audio streams. Even had a WSJT-x developer hooked to my computer for a couple of hours with no luck. Remember it DID work fine before all the W10 updates came out. Got tired of fighting W10 and ICOM, so I bought a SignaLink and in a few minutes had everything working just fine. ICOM USB doing the rig control and SL doing the audio. $130 fix.
    Last edited by WB5JJJ; 05-31-18, 13:25.
    --------------------------

Windows 7 Pro (64bit) on a Dell 755 Duo with 4Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
    2 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left and Logbook on right)
    Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7410 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-7000 to HRD via USB (currently mobile)
    ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
    ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
    Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
    M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
    Inverted "V" @ 30' for 40m & 20m
    Center-Feed Longwire for everything else
    Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
    MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs)

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
    Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
    Retired July 2011.

Comment

Thanks for your reply WB5JJJ.
      I have a Signalink USB, but was looking for remote control of the IC7200 via its USB port.
      May have to put the remote control project on hold for the time being.

Regards Bill

Comment

I left out that the migration of my HRD computer from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro in 2017 when off without a hitch as far as other quality and feature updates even to the day before the first quality update to 1709 back in early May as far as the ICOM USB driver operation went.

Yesterday, I received a notice from another source that Silicone Labs has realized that a couple of lines of their driver install code must be changed or Win10 1803 and updates will not install it and instead use the Windows default USB driver in it's place which will negate a lot of 3rd party programs and devices that use that SL driver. They gave the corrected code out for those not wanting to wait on a new release of their installer. That won't help the ICOM install, I don't think, as I think it goes deeper than just the install. How long it will take ICOM to incorporate this fix in their specific driver is anybody's guess, but enough failures will surely get them motivated.
        --------------------------

Windows 7 Pro (64bit) on a Dell 755 Duo with 4Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
        2 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left and Logbook on right)
        Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7410 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
        ICOM IC-7000 to HRD via USB (currently mobile)
        ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
        ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
        Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
        M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
        Inverted "V" @ 30' for 40m & 20m
        Center-Feed Longwire for everything else
        Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
        MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs)

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
        Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
        Retired July 2011.

Comment

I have the Windows 10 1803 update working with my IC-7200 and the built-in Microsoft USB Audio CODEC dated 11-Apr-2018. The ICOM driver did not work.

codec.png

Windows 10 also requires access to the microphone, if it does not then you will get the "...failed at 48K and 8K" message.

This part is from another thread and posted by
          David Kettrick
          Follow the directions below:

Microsoft have made a significant (undocumented) change in sound card
          handling with the April Update.

You will now need to select PC Settings -> *PRIVACY* -> Microphone and
          *TURN ON* "Allow apps to access your microphone".

The "Allow apps to access your microphone" now means "Allow apps to use
          sound devices for input". If "Allow apps to access your microphone" is
          turned off, Windows will not pass audio to *any* application.

Bryan - N0NHW

Attached Files
          Last edited by N0NHW; 06-05-18, 14:02.

Comment

ICOM IC 7200 - HRD and Windows 10 update.
            I understand Silicon Labs have released a new version of the USB-UART driver which ceased to work after the Microsoft Windows 10 update.
            The evaluation copy of HRD I was running expired last week. How do I go about getting an extension to the 'Free' License period to enable me to
            evaluate HRD with the Icom IC7200.

Comment

There is a new version of the USB COM port driver from Silicon Labs that fixes any issues with Windows 10. I have successfully installed on Windows 10 1803.

SiLabs.png

You can download here: https://www.silabs.com/products/deve...ge-vcp-drivers

The sounds card driver is not from Icom / Silicon Labs and is a generic USB codec driver from Microsoft. It should not show with any other driver and should have no issues.
              Bryan

Comment

Icom has also recently posted a new USB driver for Windows 10 here: https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support...-7600/usb1_30/

Details from Icom:

Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 update) is now supported.

The driver supports the following transceivers and receivers.
                ・IC-7100
                ・IC-7200
                ・IC-7300
                ・IC-7410
                ・IC-7600
                ・IC-7610
                ・IC-7850
                ・IC-7851
                ・IC-9100
                ・IC-R8600

Bryan - N0NHW

Comment

It sounds like this thread would be more accurately described as "Icom USB driver and Windows 10 compatibility"?

There was a change in the Windows 10 1803 release that (like Apple does) asks the user to authorize an application for access to mic or camera interfaces. We've seen a few cases - after the 1803 release - where folks saw all ham radio soundcard software stop working until they authorized the app to access the mic. I don't think that's what's going on here though. I'm aware that Icom did do an update to their USB driver following the 1803 update.

Mike, WA9PIE
                  Mike, WA9PIE

_ . _ . _ _ . _
                  Ham since 1974 (WN9PIE)

DXCC
                  Honor Roll (332/340 Mixed)
                  9BDXCC (160, 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
                  Challenge (1,696), CW (305), Phone (286)
                  [Granted are the only ones I count]

DX CQ
                  CW Honor Roll (289)
                  SSB Honor Roll (275)

CQ WAZ
                  Mixed, SSB, CW, 5BWAZ

CQ DX Field
                  Mixed Honor Roll (176)
                  CW (106), SSB (108), Digital (50)

CQ WPX
                  Mixed Honor Roll (953)
                  CW (562)