Mantis #2745 - Consider dropping DDE Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mantis #2745 - Consider dropping DDE Support

Before dropping DDE Support (see Mantis #2745) will the HRD Logbook API and HRD Radio Control API be fixed?

There needs to be some means of communicating between HRD and other 3rd Party Software.
    Regards,

David G4NVB

Agreed! Don't know how much, if any, DDE is used these days by 3rd party programs with HRD. But a really comprehensive API for Rig Control, Logbook and DM780 would be great. 3rd party programs and interfaces could make HRD even more versatile. Didn't I see a post somewhere a while back that a new API was on the to-do list?
    Ed - W4ELP

Comment

Originally posted by G4NVB View Post
      Before dropping DDE Support (see Mantis #2745) will the HRD Logbook API and HRD Radio Control API be fixed?

There needs to be some means of communicating between HRD and other 3rd Party Software.
      Logbook API code has been fixed and hopefully it will make it into the next release. I've been testing it and out of hundreds of QSOs only one failed, presumably for some other issue. It works great with JT Alert!

Comment

Originally posted by K2DLS View Post
        Logbook API code has been fixed
        Let's hope that the HRD Radio Control API is also fixed, the advice given here https://forums.hamradiodeluxe.com/node/34951 will not work.

Regards,

David G4NVB

Comment

How are you using DDE? it's a protocol borne from 16-bit Windows, and pretty much completely deprecated by Microsoft.

How do the Logbook API and Radio Control APIs need to be fixed, specifically? Have you opened tickets describing the problems you've had, and what you'd like to see implemented? If so, I can have a look and work on the problems. If not, then there's nothing I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by K7ZCZ View Post
            How do the Logbook API and Radio Control APIs need to be fixed, specifically
            To save repeating what has already been said, the following threads will provide you with the information.

https://forums.hamradiodeluxe.com/node/40635

https://forums.hamradiodeluxe.com/node/40968

https://forums.hamradiodeluxe.com/node/34951

https://forums.hamradiodeluxe.com/node/48004
            Regards,

David G4NVB

Comment

Originally posted by G4NVB View Post

To save repeating what has already been said, the following threads will provide you with the information.
              Thanks for the links! The posts are from someone who seems to be reverse-engineering the protocol because of the poor documentation that was posted a few years ago. From that feedback, I'm not sure there's much that I can fix, other than to write documentation that actually matches the protocol in use. But since we know the protocol isn't particularly usable, I think it's best that we make a more viable and robust protocol, document that, and move forward with a clean slate.

Comment

The posts are from someone who seems to be reverse-engineering the protocol because of the poor documentation that was posted a few years ago.
                You are quite right, this was due to frustration in being fed with wrong information and a reluctance of the then Developer in providing any meaningful help. I went away and did my own thing in Developing a "Front End" to the MySQL Database and I polled the Radio Direct. The only downside to this is that I lose the facility of HRD Rig Control whilst my Application is connected to the Radio. As a minimum, it would be nice to be able to Read the Frequency, Mode and Power from HRD and then I will have the best options available to me. My "Front End" Module is for WAB (Worked all Britain - Awards Scheme) which is too complex to be incorporated into HRD.

From that feedback, I'm not sure there's much that I can fix, other than to write documentation that actually matches the protocol in use. But since we know the protocol isn't particularly usable, I think it's best that we make a more viable and robust protocol, document that, and move forward with a clean slate.
                It would be nice to see the Radio Control API revisited with a view of providing a more viable and robust protocol with meaningful documentation.

I believe the Logbook API is functioning ok now, although I've not tried it again recently due to writing my own Front End Module.
                Regards,

David G4NVB

Comment

Working...
                X