X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding A Logbook..??

Hi All,

Hope you can help,
    Due to a number of PC failures inc a power surge that took out my PC and attached USB drive I'm in a bit of a mess.

I have a new PC, and plan to purchase latest HRD.
    Fortunately/Unfortunately, due to my rather poor updating/backing up I now have a bunch of potential files/HRD data bases that I need to try and re-assemble into "1" log book... If possible.

I have "2" HRD database from last free V5
    I have downloaded the last updates in .adi format from: HRDLog, Clublog and eQsl

Is there any way of merging into 1 log file in a "New" install of HRD...

Any help would/will be really appreciated

Thanks... David

Originally posted by Wirezfree View Post
    I have "2" HRD database from last free V5
    I have downloaded the last updates in .adi format from: HRDLog, Clublog and eQsl
    Are all of the above files in ADIF ( .ADI ) Format?
    Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Home Brew WAB Awards Front End Module to MySQL Database

Comment

Hi David,

I have ADIF .adi files just downloaded from HRDLog, ClubLog and eQsl
      They are probably not in sync, may have been uploaded different times, probably with duplicates.?

The HRD Logs(x2) are the .mdb files from v5 of HRD

Thanks

Comment

Hello David,

So you should be able to load the .mdb files individually and compare the Data to see if they are the same or one file is newer or more complete than the other. Once you've done that you should be able to Import the ADIF Files, you can choose to ignore Duplicates. Hopefully that will give you all of the Contacts that you have available.
        Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks... Wasn't sure if HRD did the duplicate check...

I was thinking of importing all .adi files into Clublog, which does dupe checking,
          Then when all imported Exporting out, to then have a "single" .adi file to deal with.

I guess there are different ways to skin a feline

Thanks... 73's

Comment

Hello David,

You could also export the 2 x .mdb files to ADIF and import them into your new Logbook.
            It's probably best not to use Clublog as there are several HRD User Defined fields that would not be supported with 3rd party applications.
            Good luck!
            Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks.. Yes you have a good point...
              Start with consolidating/cleaning up the mdb's within HRD,
              then with a "new" mdb, bring in the .adi's.

One final question... Once I have my "clean" mdb/log
              I have a qrz subscription,
              Is there any way to do a "bulk" refresh of the Log against QRZ, bring it all up-to-date..??

Many Thanks... 73's... David

Comment

I don't use QRZ Logbook so have no experience. A quick look would suggest a "bulk" refresh would be possible.
                Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Comment

Many Thanks... I guess give it a try

73's - David/David

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks... Wasn't sure if HRD did the duplicate check...

I was thinking of importing all .adi files into Clublog, which does dupe checking,
                    Then when all imported Exporting out, to then have a "single" .adi file to deal with.

I guess there are different ways to skin a feline

Thanks... 73's
                    It does. You can either "Ignore" or "Overwrite" the duplicates when importing the ADIF files.

Start with a fresh naked database, then import what you have into it. Then make fresh backups, external to the computer (I use Dropbox so I can import it on other computers with radio duties).

It may not be a perfect resolution, but it's better than losing it all.
                    Rick
                    Rick WA6NHC, DXer, wanderer
                    Home: Elecraft K Line, SteppIR DB42 @ 60', Cushcraft R-7 vertical
                    Computer: 4.3 GHz desktop, Win 10/64

RV: IC-7300, AH-4 and a laptop; antenna is variable
                    Truck: TS-480HX, Tarheel and TurboTuner.

IRLP 7962 (shack and local area only)

Comment

Originally posted by WA6NHC View Post

It does. You can either "Ignore" or "Overwrite" the duplicates when importing the ADIF files.

Start with a fresh naked database, then import what you have into it. Then make fresh backups, external to the computer (I use Dropbox so I can import it on other computers with radio duties).

It may not be a perfect resolution, but it's better than losing it all.
                      Rick
                      Hi Rick...

Many thanks for the comments,
                      I'm normally pretty good with PC house keeping, but not this time

I currently have 3 X .mdb files from the last 5.x release.
                      I think I need to open those 1 by 1, and then export them to create 3 X .adi's

Then like you say create a "NEW" Log book.

Then import all the .adi files 1 by 1, and hope I recover everything into 1 new log.

I just discovered a new complication.

I have requested a LoTW account/certificate. I watched a video where you create locations which include QRA Locator
                      This maybe fun, my log(if I recover everything) will cover about "9" Locations in England,
                      so not sure how to handle that at present if it impacts matching..??

Thanks again.

73's - Dave - G8LIY

Comment

I just discovered a new complication.

I have requested a LoTW account/certificate. I watched a video where you create locations which include QRA Locator
                        This maybe fun, my log(if I recover everything) will cover about "9" Locations in England,
                        so not sure how to handle that at present if it impacts matching..??
                        The "Location" (yours or the other stations) will be unique to each contact so if there are duplicate contacts the "Location" should be the same. Anyway I seem to recall the "Duplicate Check" is confined to "Date", "Callsign", "Time_On", "Time_Off".

Don't forget to Backup files before starting!
                        Last edited by G4NVB; 03-14-18, 19:14.
                        Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Comment

Originally posted by G4NVB View Post

The "Location" (yours or the other stations) will be unique to each contact so if there are duplicate contacts the "Location" should be the same. Anyway I seem to recall the "Duplicate Check" is confined to "Date", "Callsign", "Time_On", "Time_Off".

Don't forget to Backup files before starting!
                          Hi David,

Thanks for that... All noted.

Since my last post I have actually found another backup file from HRD, one of the .xml backups, with a more recent date than the .adi's
                          If I remember correctly you also have an option to import those, so that maybe a better starting point.?

I got my LoTW certificate earlier... But I need to sort the Logbook out first.

Thanks again...

Regards - David

Comment

Since my last post I have actually found another backup file from HRD, one of the .xml backups, with a more recent date than the .adi's
                            If I remember correctly you also have an option to import those, so that maybe a better starting point.?
                            That's good news!
                            You need to create a new Logbook and then restore the XML file. There is more info here:-
                            https://forums.ham-radio-deluxe.com/node/43053
                            Regards,

David G4NVB

HRD with MySQL Database

Comment

Originally posted by G4NVB View Post

That's good news!
                              You need to create a new Logbook and then restore the XML file. There is more info here:-
                              https://forums.ham-radio-deluxe.com/node/43053
                              Many Thanks for the link... Perfect...
                              Is there a way to have HRD save the logs(mdb's) in a location of my choosing..??

I normally have a 2nd partition/drive D:\
                              That way I can keep all "my documents" in 1 easy to backup location, rather than spread all over.

Thanks... David

Comment

Working...
                              X