No announcement yet.

Written Accent (Use of Unicode in HRD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Accent (Use of Unicode in HRD)

Names on my Logbook frequently show with bizarre characters. See for example in the attached picture what I get for a name that probably should be represented as "Óscar Sánchez Cárdenas". Is this a problem of HRD ? A problem of the software that submitted the name into HRD ? Is there some way to fix it from my side? Is it a bug I should report ?

This kind of problem is caused by improperly handled character encoding. I suppose there could be a bug in HRD, but since data can (and does) come from other program,s we'd need to rule those out. Are you able to reproduce this problem such that you enter correct data, and end up seeing poorly displayed data? If so, what specific steps do you follow to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by K7ZCZ View Post
      This kind of problem is caused by improperly handled character encoding. I suppose there could be a bug in HRD, but since data can (and does) come from other program,s we'd need to rule those out. Are you able to reproduce this problem such that you enter correct data, and end up seeing poorly displayed data? If so, what specific steps do you follow to do so?
      Sorry for not answering before. I get this display just pressing 'Lookup' on a Logbook entry. 'Lookup' searchs the data for the corresponding callsign on QRZ, I think.

Comment

So many non English speaking countries use accents of one form or another over Latin letters. For some reason QRZ.com and others display these correctly, but when you do an lookup in the ALE, they are turned to non sense when transitioned to ALE. The same thing happens to city names. However a simple copy and past will restore everything. Also Lookup fails to import the full name of the ham if it is something like Henry von Smith. Just the von Smith or sometimes just Smith are copied over, but it will take a many word Special Event Station, so it's not counting spaces. I think this has to do with those SES typically being capitalized words when the "von" is not. Just my thoughts from a old programmer from 30+ years ago.
        --------------------------

Windows 7 Pro (64bit) on a Dell 755 Duo with 4Gb RAM and 120Gb Kingston SSD
        2 - Dell 1708FB Digital HD Monitors (Rig Control on left and Logbook on right)
        Current version of HRD unless I see problems with it.

ICOM IC-7410 to HRD via USB (on AS 6-Pack)
        ICOM IC-7000 to HRD via USB (currently mobile)
        ICOM IC-718 to HRD via Serial (on AS 6-Pack)
        ICOM IC-745 poor guy doesn't know what USB, HRD or CAT commands are (on a center-feed wire via LDG AT-11)

Diamond X-50 at 35' for 2m & 70cm
        Mosley TA54-XLN-6 (7 elements) @ 30' for 20m thru 6m (WARC included)
        M2 6m5-HP @ 35' for 6m (+2 S-Units over Mosley and lower noise levels)
        Inverted "V" @ 30' for 40m & 20m
        Center-Feed Longwire for everything else
        Little Tarheel II Screwdriver for 80m thru 6m mobile using West Mountain TARGETuner

LDG Electronics AT-11 Automatic Tuner (for IC-718)
        MFJ Electronics MFJ-901B Manual Tuner (for IC-745)

Array Solutions 6-Pack Antenna switch (2 radio inputs & 6 antenna inputs)

Yaseu D800SA Rotor controlled by HRD via an Easy Rotor Control (ERC) adapter card

I upload to eQSL & HRDNet automatically in HRD. LoTW, ClubLog, QRZ.com DAILY and send my cards to the Bureau MONTHLY.
        Why doesn't everybody do this? It's so much easier than having to work through hundreds (or thousands) of log entries once or twice a YEAR.

Licensed in April 1973.
        Retired July 2011.

Comment

Well, after 25 years of having Unicode around, one has lost the habit of finding such problems in code.

Comment

Originally posted by joaquin View Post

Sorry for not answering before. I get this display just pressing 'Lookup' on a Logbook entry. 'Lookup' searchs the data for the corresponding callsign on QRZ, I think.
            Thanks for providing a description of the repro case. I've opened Mantis issue 2632 to track this.

Comment

Originally posted by WB5JJJ View Post
              Also Lookup fails to import the full name of the ham if it is something like Henry von Smith. Just the von Smith or sometimes just Smith are copied over, but it will take a many word Special Event Station, so it's not counting spaces. I think this has to do with those SES typically being capitalized words when the "von" is not. Just my thoughts from a old programmer from 30+ years ago.
              I've opened Mantis issue 2633 to track this isuse.

Comment

Working...
              X